My poor goose. She has had more than her share of bang ups over the past 17 months. I am seriously considering making her wear a helmet and elbow and knee pads at all times.
So last Sunday we were at church having lunch and watching Amy give her presentation and Aaron took the kids outside to play. Aaron and Kensi were walking on the kid's castle, and Kensi stumbled and caught herself with her hands. Unfortunately at that very spot was the head of a nail sticking up and it went right in her hand and sliced down her palm. It was pretty gross looking. Her tiny little hand was just laying split apart. I seriously do not do well when it is my kids that are hurt. I am fine with blood and keeping my head together when something bad happens, but when its one of my kids all that goes out the door and I panic. We rinsed it out under the faucet and was able to see right away that it was extremely deep. Fortunetly their was a doctor there who also took a look at it and confirmed that we did need to take her into the hospital to "put it back together."
So Aaron, Kensi and I all headed into the ER. I was a nervous wreck, Aaron was his usual calm/together self and my little goose was just looking around like nothing in the world was bothering her. She didn't cry at all. Aaron said she didn't even cry when it happened. (I am starting to think I may have given birth to the female version of Clark Kent. She appears to be indestructible. ) Ok, back to the story.
When we got to the ER, Aaron dropped us off at the door. He had to run home to get his weekly paperwork because he was supposed to be heading into work, but had called his sergeant and told him what happened. He told him to take as much time as he needed to. But all his paperwork has to be in by 5pm on Sundays so another trooper was going to come to the hospital and get it. So, that left me (the panicky one) alone with Kensi. I really think this is God's way of making me get over this issue because this is how it happens every single time one of the kids gets hurt....same thing last year when Kobe had to have his head stapled shut. Aaron is always so calm and good with the kids in situations like this and yet it seems when the big stuff happens it just always works out that I am the one that has to do it. Is this God's sense of humor?!?
We went and got registered and then they moved us to triage. Kensi was so great and just let them all look at her hand. They wanted to take her oxygen levels, so I took her tights off so they could put the clamp on her toe. Well, she did not like that one bit and started screaming. It was sad and hilarious all at the same time because this girl has her hand gaping open and doesn't care a bit, but they put a clamp on her toe and she goes postal. Hahaha...its a girls perrogative.
So they took us back to our room where we waited for the doctor. They ended up glueing it back together and also putting the steri-strip tape all the way down it to pull it together. The only time she cried was when they washed it out with gauze. She did not like that. I, seriously was telling myself to breathe and not freak out. I hated seeing her so upset. And to put the final touches on breaking my heart, when they were down cleaning it, she said with tears still streaming down her face, "tank you". Talk about making a mama cry! But after the cleaning, she was so still and completely fine as they glued it and taped it up.
She was so funny as we walked out of the ER with her little hand all bandaged up waving and saying "bye bye, tank you, bye bye, tank you" to everyone. It was cute. What a fun girl she is!
The hardest part of all this has been keeping her bandage on. She never stopped using her hand at all. Again, I am thinking this girls tolerance for pain is off the charts. She has taken her bandages off at least 3 times every day, driving me completely batty because I don't want it to get infected. She seems to think she is pretty funny though, because she will do it and then run and find us and smile from ear to ear to show us what she's done. What a goose.
Today is the first day we have taken everything off and letting some air get to it. It has healed so nicely and is really looking great! I am so thankful to the Lord for such a quick healing and recovery. Because let me tell you, it is not easy to keep a 17 month old from using her hand and trying to keep it clean. Iyiyiyi!
I am so thankful for God's protection and healing over her and that if it was going to happen that it was just her hand. It could have been so much worse if she fell on her face or head. I have a feeling this girl of mine might just have two guardian angels assigned to her!
I am thankful that she has both her hands back now. Although, I must say, she didn't let having one "usable" hand slow her down a bit! But I am so happy to see those two, precious little hands back to being busy as ever!
6 comments:
POOR SWEET BABY!
Now, I wouldn't say that God is laughing at you or anything, but I do believe that HE loves those times, because He knows that you need him and He is there for you. Just think, if Roy was there, you wouldn't be leaning on JC!
PS. A NAIL!!!! I'm taking a hammer out there next week!
Sweet little Kenser. I can not get over how she said "tank you" to them after they took care of her. That is so precious. What a gem she is. Little trooper. I think you should purchase some bubble wrap and just put it on from head to toe.
Julie - not to worry, the nail has been taken care of!:)
Beth - I like that. I think bubble wrap is the perfect solution! thanks!
Man, you're a bloggin' fool! Glad to hear Kensi is on the mend!
Kensi is my kind of girl! I love the super man bit....great! What a brave and sweet little girl. She is so cute!
Poor little Kensi! That little hand looks sad BUT I'm glad she's getting better! (looks like she's wearing a mitten)
Maybe a plastic bubble would work would work for her? She can still play a little...haha!
I've missed your posts. Glad to see you're back and SO good to catch up. You've been a busy lady!!
Post a Comment