Gentle Reminder from a loving Father...
Today my nerves have been on edge. I'm a bit jittery and just ready to get done already. I'm finding that having peace is sometimes a choice. Just for my own sake I wanted to write down the gentle reminders God has given me. He really is so awesome and faithful even when we are weak and doubting.
~ When Maddie was a baby and in the NICU she had one day in particular that was awful. She had a really bad episode of apnia and bradycardia and the nurses were having a difficult time 'getting her back.' I felt like I was watching a horror movie as I watched nurses and doctors running and scrambling to get my baby girl to breathe again. One nurse had hollered to another nurse to get me out of there. I remember feeling like I was in the midst of an awful storm, but all that went thru my mind in that moment was the song "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." It played over and over in my mind. Thru the years, I have looked back on those 20 minutes and know that Jesus spoke directly to me. To my heart. To my spirit. That song has been so special to me since that time.
So today during worship in church. I was really having a difficult time keeping my thoughts positive and not letting fear creep in. God knew and reached down and spoke directly to me again as the worship leader just started singing acapella "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." It was as if He was saying to me, "I've got this. Its done. She is already healed. Just walk this out in faith." How wonderful that even when I'm unfaithful, He loves me enough to remind me for the millionth time in such a gentle, loving way. And in a way He knew I would 'get it' immediately.
~ After church today a guy we didn't know came up to us and asked who her surgeon was going to be. I told him the name and he said that the same doctor had just done his open-heart surgery this past February. He told us what a wonderful experience he had and how incredible this doctor was. It was just awesome and so encouraging to talk to someone who has just gone thru this whole thing and see he is just fine.
~ When we were leaving UVA on Wednesday, we ran into a family we know from church. We chatted and I told them what we were doing there. They then told us they were there to see the same doctor we had just had an appointment with because their daughter had the exact same defect Maddie had and had gone thru the same surgery when she was 2 years old. Now they just come for her yearly checkup. I just thought, isn't that incredible, that as big as UVA is and how many people are there on any given day that I would bump in to them and hear their story.
None of these things are lost on me. I know God has spoken to me thru all of these people and they don't even know it! I just thought, as emotionally draining as this journey has been, I don't want to lose sight of the great things God has done just for this mama's heart. I know He cares. I am feeling surprisingly calm right now. And choosing peace...
6 comments:
I love how God reaches out to us, offers peace, and then reminds us that He is in control. Thanks for sharing how God is working through Maddie's journey! Prayers will continue to go up from our home over the next 24 hours.
Will be continuing to pray that He holds all of you in His peace that is beyond all understanding. His hand is most certainly upon Maddie!! Blessings on you!
Beautiful reminders from a God who is into the details. :) Praying for your family. God has good things in store!
This post gave me goosebumps. He's got this one under control - that's for sure. Love you friend!
I got goosebumps, too, about "her" song in church. Only a God-thing. Love you lots and won't stop praying!
God does know how to get our attention sometimes to let us know that He's in control, doesn't he? Love how he directed you to people and songs this week to remind you of His presence! And tell Maddie that her scar is kinda like a branding...y'know how animals are sometimes branded by their masters so if they ever stray, their branding says who they belong to....her branding will be a reminder of God's ever-watchful, protective hand on her life--right over her heart as she keeps her heart in His hands. Hopefully it will be an almost invisible branding though :-)! Love to you!
---Shandra
Post a Comment